Why Estes believes in pursuing lean manufacturing:
- It places an emphasis on the product (or service) Estes provides to the customer as the purpose of the company. All other activities are not the purpose.
- It sets a mindset that a perfect product is possible.
- It focuses on the fact that customers can have exactly what they want, when they want it, at competitive prices.
- It emphasizes that all buffers are waste – extra time, space, inventory, people, tools, etc.
- It stresses that indirect activities should be eliminated as they do not add value to the part, for which the customer is paying.
- It dictates that improvement is always both possible and necessary, through Kaizen.
- It empowers and challenges employees to continuously improve and eliminate waste rather than just put in their time.
- It underscores that all relationships are long term – employee, supplier, distributor, owner and especially customer.